A lightweight serum made with all-natural hydrating ingredients, like hyaluronic acid and sea algae, designed to deliver a blast of dewy, glowing hydration. Click to read our full skin care review including our clean ingredient analysis, a summary of all online customer reviews, and our experiences testing the product itself.
KYPRIS: MOONLIGHT CATALYST REVIEW
By: Skin Care Ox
last updated: 8/20/2019
Kypris Beauty’s Moonlight Catalyst is a lightweight exfoliating organic night serum made with high-quality organic and natural ingredients. This serum should be a cult favorite amongst blemish-prone skin types. It delivers all of the blemish-busting benefits you’d expect from a blemish treatment while simultaneously working to reduce the appearance of fine lines & wrinkles. The gentle exfoliating power of pumpkin fruit ferment works to unclog pores, dissolve dead skin and blackheads, remove excess sebum, and fade dark spots. Willow Bark (where natural salicylic acid is derived) works to control oil and zap acne-causing bacteria–keeping breakouts at bay. Finally, rosehip seed oil, sea buckthorn oil, sea algae, and sh-oligopeptide-1 (the product’s anti-aging ingredient which you can read about below) work to soften + plump your newly exfoliated skin.
Don’t get us wrong, just because the Moonlight Catalyst is a powerhouse for blemish-prone skin doesn’t mean that it can’t be enjoyed by a variety of different skin types. This serum makes a fantastic gentle exfoliation treatment for sensitive skin types who cannot handle harsher acids and peels. Additionally, mature and dry skin types who are typically prone to dull, flaky, and unevenly pigmented skin can benefit from the product’s ability to exfoliate, brighten, and fade fine lines. To top it all off, Kypris as an insane brand dedication to using only the highest quality natural, organic, and wildcrafted ingredients (hence the luxury price). We also love that Kypris makes deluxe sample kits of their premium products so you can see if it will work for you before making the investment.
Below you’ll find a summary of our review of the Kypris Moonlight Catalyst serum. We reviewed the product based on three categories: Clean Ingredient Score (Does it use clean, quality ingredients?), Product Design & Effectiveness (Does it work?), and an Online Customer Review Score (What is everyone else saying?). Combined, you should have a snapshot of everything you need to know about Kypris Beauty’s Moonlight Catalyst serum. Enjoy!
KYPRIS MOONLIGHT CATALYST REVIEW
Product Name: Moonlight Catalyst
Product Description: A lightweight overnight treatment serum designed to both provide gentle exfoliation for dry & blemish prone skin as well as stimulate new cell growth to fight the signs of aging. Size: 1.5oz/47ml Packaging: Blue Glass Consistency: Lightweight Gel-like Serum Scent: Lightly Sweet Natural Peach Scent Samples Available: Yes
- Clean Ingredient Score
- Product Design & Effectiveness Score
- Online Customer Review Score
Where to Buy?
CLEAN INGREDIENT SCORE
The Kypris Moonlight Catalyst has earned a Clean Ingredient Score of an “A” for it’s natural, organic, GMO free formulation. The Moonlight Catalyst is made with one synthetic ingredient, sh-oligopeptide-1, which is designed to bio-mimic a naturally occurring compound, called human epidermal growth factor, in order stimulate new cell growth. No need to fear the word “synthetic,” this ingredient is rated as safe & low-hazard by organizations such as the Environmental Working Group. Additionally, this organic night serum uses proven, gentle, and all natural preservative systems. The Moonlight Catalyst is also vegan, cruelty-free, and gluten-free. It uses gentle, yet effective fruit enzymes (pumpkin) and acids (natural salicylic acid from willow bark extract) to exfoliate away dead skin. A grade of A- means that this product uses high quality, safe, natural, and organic ingredients. We reserve some of the highest Clean Ingredient Scores ( A+) for products which use certified organic ingredients.
Top Clean Ingredients
- Pumpkin Fruit Ferment Filtrate: Also known as hyaluronic acid. A naturally occurring salt of hyaluronic acid that both attracts water molecules from the air into the skin and can hold up to 1000x its weight in water–making it a powerful ingredient for hydration.
- Sh-oligopeptide-1: Also known as Synthetic Human Epidermal Growth Factor, EGF, or Sh-EGF. It is a synthetic peptide designed to mimic the structure of naturally occurring Human Epidermal Growth Factor. Synthetic EGF has been clinically tested to increase cell proliferation (new cells creation) and significantly improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, skin texture, and pore size.
- Sea Algae: Nourishes the skin with natural vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. Sea algae mainly works as a humectant; drawing in moisture from the environment into the skin.
- Willow Bark Extract: Derived from the bark of the willow tree, willow bark extract is high in salicin (where salicylic acid is comes from) which makes gives it potent anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- Tocopherol/Vitamin E: Derived from non-gmo organic soy.
- Sodium Chloride: Natural Preservative | Table Salt | EWG Score: 1
- Sodium Levulinate: Natural Preservative | EWG Score: 1
- Sodium Anisate: Natural Preservative | EWG Score: 1
- Sodium Citrate: Natural Preservative | EWG Score: 1
- Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate: Natural Preservative | EWG Score: 1
ingredients as of: 8/19/2019
water, glycerin, lactobacillus/pumpkin fruit ferment filtrate, xylitylglucoside Natural | Humectant | EWG Score: 1 , sclerotium gum Natural | Emulsion Stabilizing | Skin Conditioning | EWG Score: 1 , sea algae Natural | Humectant | Moisture | EWG Score: 1 , anhydroxylitol Natural | Humectant | EWG Score: 1 , xylitol Natural Sugar Alcohol, Humectant, Skin-Conditioning, Thickener; EWG Score: 1 , sh-oligopeptide-1 Synthetic | Peptides | Anti-Aging | EWG Score: 1 , peach fruit extract, rosehip flower extract, vigna aconitifolia seed extract, sea buckthorn extract, plum fruit extract, willow bark extract, bitter orange flower water extract, hydrolyzed fucus vesiculosus protein, sodium chloride Natural | also known as Table Salt | Preservative | EWG Score: 1 , trehalose Natural | Plant Sugar | Humectant | Moisturizer | EWG Score: 1 , sodium levulinate Natural, Preservative; EWG Score 1 , maltodextrin Natural | Plant Sugar from corn, potato, or rice | Binder | EWG Score: 1 , leuconostoc/radish root ferment filtrate Natural, Preservative; EWG Score 1 , sodium anisate Natural, Preservative; EWG Score 1 , sodium citrate Natural, pH Control, Preservative; EWG Score: 1
PRODUCT DESIGN & EFFECTIVENESS
Overall, we give the Kypris Moonlight Catalyst an A+ for product design and effectiveness. We found the Moonlight Catalyst to be an excellent organic night treatment for those with oily and/or blemish prone skin. This little exfoliator does a solid job at controlling excess oil, dissolving blackheads, soothing breakouts and their related inflammation, and minimizing the appearance of blemishes. We’ve reviewed dozens of organic night treatments and the Moonlight Catalyst is definitely one of the best for blemish-prone skin. It has a lightweight, gel-like consistency that goes on a little sticky at first (due to the peach fruit extract), but feels smooth once fully absorbed. We had no trouble layering on additional serums and moisturizers (just stay away from using additional exfoliants). Dry and mature skin types can benefit from the anti-aging combination of gentle exfoliation and sh-oligopeptide-1 for increased cellular turnover.
Works Best For: Combination Skin, Oily Skin, Clogged Pores, Blackheads, Acne, Blemish Prone, Dry Skin, Sensitive Skin.
Official Usage Instructions: After sunset, apply Moonlight Catalyst to clean skin. Do NOT wear in sunlight or with other exfoliants. Cleanse skin in AM. For best results, we recommend pairing with your favorite KYPRIS Beauty Elixir. For external use only.
Ease of Use: Very easy to incorporate into an existing skin care routine. Can be combined with other serums and moisturizers at night with the exception of exfoliating products. Although this product can be used nightly, we recommend using it 2-3x per week.
Most Notable Results
- Provides mild exfoliation
- Evens out skin complexion and texture
- Brightens dark spots & hyperpigmentation
- Helps clear congested pores & blackheads
- Helps to reduce the frequency and severity of acne breakouts
- Reduces redness & visible inflammation
- Reduces the overall appearance of blemishes
- Helps to minimize & control excess sebum
Claims Not Met
- 1:1 Retinol Replacement: The Moonlight Catalyst is a nice herbal anti-aging product that uses sh-oligopeptide-1 to help stimulate new skin cell growth; thus, helping to diminish fine lines & wrinkles. For those looking for a gentle, natural alternative to harsh retinoid products this is a great choice. However, customers who are used to conventional retinol-based products may not find the natural results of the Moonlight Catalyst to be a 1:1 alternative replacement.
ONLINE CUSTOMER REVIEW SCORE
We analyzed 320 customer reviews for the Kypris Moonlight Catalyst organic exfoliating night serum from 12 online retailers (including stores like Amazon, Detox Market, and Nordstrom). Across all retailers, the Moonlight Catalyst received an average customer review score of 4.2/5 stars—earning a grade of B for our Online Customer Review score. On the positive side, most reviewers reported smoother, less congested, more radiant skin with some of the highest praise coming from blemish-prone skin types. Additionally, only a small minority of reviewers reported having experienced negative skin reactions such as breakouts or inflammation. As for the critical reviews, most critical customer reviews centered around not seeing sufficient enough results to warrant a repurchase. See Pros & Cons below for a full summary.
reviews last evaluated: 8/19/2019
- Evens out skin tone and complexion
- Brightens dark spots & hyperpigmentation
- Helps to reduce the appearance and frequency of acne breakouts
- Helps to reduce the appearance of clogged pores & blackheads
- Helps to reduce the appearance of acne scars
- Softens skin tone & soothes redness
- Does not contain essential oils
- A little goes a long way! Especially when used 2-3x week or less.
- Works well as a mild exfoliant for all skin types
- Some reviewers felt that they didn’t see a big enough impact on their skin to warrant a repurchase.
- May not meet the expectation of a “retinol alternative”
- Some Amazon purchasers have written critical reviews related to the quality of the product (for example, finding mold in their bottles). To avoid this, we recommend ordering directly from a clean beauty retailer like Detox Market.
ARTICLES FEATURING KYPRIS
Adding an organic face oil or serum to your skin care routine is a powerful & easy way to get instantly glowing skin--no matter what your skin type may be! Browse our list of expertly curated and [...]