A richly luxurious facial oil crafted with over 1,000 coveted Bulgarian rose petals and other potent botanical antioxidants to create an anti-aging and anti-blemish daily treatment oil. Click to read our full skin care review including our clean ingredient analysis, a summary of all online customer reviews, and our experiences testing the product itself.
KYPRIS: CLEARING SERUM REVIEW
By: Skin Care Ox
last updated: 8/20/2019
Kypris Beauty’s Clearing Serum is a lightweight blemish-fighting serum made with effective, yet gentle organic and natural ingredients. This serum leverages the anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, and oil-balancing properties of both unique and tried-and-true natural ingredients such as lilac leaf stem cell culture, zinc, willow bark, tea tree oil, and lavender oil. What we like most about this organic acne treatment is how effective it is at clearing away dirt, oil, and breakouts without simultaneously causing skin dryness. Typically, acne treatments (even the organic ones) are packed with alcohols and essential oils that can be a little too drying for everyday use. Not with this Clearing Serum! Alongside those acne-busting ingredients you’ll find skin nourishing botanicals such as quinoa seed oil (supports collagen + elastin), aloe juice, shea butter, and chaparral leaf.
Overall, we found the Kypris Clearing Serum to be quite an effective natural acne remedy to add into any skin care routine. When used after cleansing and toning, the serum absorbs quickly and other serums (or acne spot treatments) can be easily layered on top. It’s also great to know that Kypris’ founder, Chase Polan, has an insane dedication to using only the highest quality natural, organic, and wildcrafted ingredients.
Below you’ll find a summary of our in-depth review of the Kypris Clearing Serum. We reviewed the product based on three categories: The Clean Ingredient Score (Does it use clean, quality ingredients?), The Product Design & Effectiveness Score (Does it actually work?), and an Online Customer Review Score (What is everyone else saying?). Combined, you should have a snapshot of everything you need to know about Kypris Beauty’s acne fighting Clearing Serum. Enjoy!
KYPRIS CLEARING SERUM REVIEW
Product Name: Clearing Serum
Product Description: A lightweight acne clearing treatment serum formulated with natural ingredients to treat excess oil, clogged pores + blackheads, acne breakouts, and blemishes. Size: 1.5oz/47ml Packaging: Blue Glass Consistency: Thin Lightweight Serum Scent: Natural Herbal/Tea Tree Samples Available: Yes
- Clean Ingredient Score
- Product Design & Effectiveness Score
- Online Customer Review Score
Where to Buy?
CLEAN INGREDIENT SCORE
Kypris Clearing Serum has received a Clean Ingredient Grade of “A”. Like all of Kypris’ formulations, the Clearing Serum is made with all natural, wildcrafted, GMO free ingredients sourced from sustainable, (often local), small farms which do not use pesticides. It is also vegan, cruelty-free, and preserved with safe, natural ingredients. The vitamin E within this product, and all Kypris products, is derived from non-GMO organic soy and the lecithin is derived from sunflowers. We love that this formula uses a mix of tried and true acne-fighting ingredients (such as tea tree oil, willow bark, and lavender) along with a few surprising and unique ingredients (like zinc PCA and lilac leaf stem cell culture).
Top Clean Ingredients
- Quinoa Seed Oil: A cold-pressed plant oil from quinoa seeds that is rich in essential amino acids, vitamin E, and b vitamins. Thought to support and enhance collagen and elastin production.
- Zinc PCA: Zinc salt of pyrrolidone carboxylic acid. Helps to reduce acne-related inflammation and fight acne-causing bacteria.
- Lilac Leaf Stem Cell Culture: Plant stem cells that are rich in verbascoside, a clinically proven acne inhibiting and anti-inflammatory plant polyphenol.
- Montmorillonite: A natural earth clay which gently absorbs excess oil, sebum, and dirt from the pores. Helps to keep acne-causing bacteria at bay.
- Willow Bark Extract: Derived from the bark of the willow tree, willow bark extract is high in salicin (where salicylic acid is comes from) which makes gives it potent anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- Tea Tree Oil: An essential oil used for its anti-microbial, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Lavender Oil: An essential oil commonly used in skin care for its anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and acne scar-reducing properties.
- Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate: Natural Preservative | EWG Score: 1
- Sodium Anisate: Natural Preservative | EWG Score: 1
- Sodium Levulinate: Natural Preservative | EWG Score: 1
- Linalool: Linalool as a natural compound of an organic essential oil may provide anti-inflammatory effects, but the synthetic version can possibly lead to skin irritation or allergic reactions (hence the EWG rating range of 2-5). Due to a change in labeling regulations, manufacturers are required to list linalool on ingredient labels even if it’s only naturally present in the essential oils.
ingredients as of: 8/19/2019
water, glycerin, quinoa seed oil Natural | Anti-Aging | Supports Collagen | Anti-inflammatory | EWG Score: 1 , leuconostoc/radish root ferment filtrate Natural | Preservative | EWG Score 1 , betaine Natural | Plant-Derived | Humectant | EWG Score: 1 , zinc PCA Natural | Anti-Acne | Skin Conditioning | Humectant | EWG Score: 1-3 , ahnfeltia concinna extract, zinc PCA Natural | Anti-Acne | Skin Conditioning | Humectant | EWG Score: 1-3 , aloe leaf juice, bitter cherry flower extract, chaparral leaf extract, camellia oleifera leaf extract, ceramide NP Natural | Water Retention | EWG Score: 1 , lemon fruit extract, sunflower seed oil, helianthus annuus hybrid oil, allantoin Natural | Skin Conditioning | Uric acid derived from animals or plants | EWG Score: 1 , lavender oil, sunflower lecithin, shea butter, caprylic/capric triglyceride Natural | Derived from coconut or palm kernel oil | Emollient | EWG Score: 1 , ascorbyl palmitate Natural | Vitamin C Ester | EWG Score: 1 , maltodextrin Natural | Plant Sugar from corn, potato, or rice | Binder | EWG Score: 1 , tea tree leaf oil, montmorillonite Natural | Derived from coconut or palm kernel oil | Emollient | EWG Score: 1 , phospholipids, phytosterols Natural | Plant-Derived | Supports Collagen | Anti-Aging | EWG Score: 1 , apple fruit extract, willow bark extract Natural | Anti-bacterial | Refines Pores | Natural form of salicylic acid | EWG Score: 1 , sarcosine Amino Acid | Skin Conditioning | Oil Controling | EWG Score: 1 , sclerotium gum Natural | Emulsion Stabilizing | Skin Conditioning | EWG Score: 1 , sodium anisate Natural | Preservative | EWG Score 1 , sodium levulinate Natural | Preservative | EWG Score 1 , squalane, non-gmo tocopherol/vitamin E, linalool
PRODUCT DESIGN & EFFECTIVENESS
The Clearing Serum is one of our favorite organic acne treatment serums. As such, we have given it a Product Design & Effectiveness Grade of “A+” Unlike many acne treatments we’ve tested, the Clearing Serum is both potent and non-drying; thus, it can be used as either a natural acne spot treatment or all over facial serum. No matter how you use it, the serum does an excellent job of soothing redness, reducing the severity + frequency of acne breakouts, controlling oil production, and clearing clogged pores. The Clearing Serum has a lightweight water-based texture that absorbs quickly into the skin without leaving a sticky residue. Once absorbed, you can easily layer on other products. It does have a naturally light, herbal, tea-tree oil-esque scent that is pretty mild compared to most herbal acne remedies. All in all, the Clearing Serum from Kypris is a powerful everyday natural serum to combat oil, blackheads, and blemishes without drying out your skin.
Works Best For: Acne-prone, blemish-prone, congested, blackheads, large pores, combination, and oily skin types.
Official Usage Instructions: Apply Clearing Serum to areas affected by blemishes, oiliness, or in-growns. Avoid eye area. For best results, we recommend pairing your Clearing Serum with your favorite KYPRIS Beauty Elixir. For external use only.
Ease of Use: This serum easily fits into any skin care routine. The Clearing Serum can be applied as an all over facial serum or as a spot treatment. Can be worn under makeup, as a serum, or as a spot treatment over your moisturizer.
Most Notable Results
- Reduces the appearance of redness and inflammation
- Helps calm and heal active acne breakouts
- Reduces the frequency of severity of acne breakouts
- Helps to mitigate the severity of hormonal breakouts
- Helps to control + balance sebum & blackheads
Claims Not Met
- In-Grown Hairs: We did not test this product on in-grown hairs or recently shaved areas of the skin; thus, we cannot speak to the product’s claims about reducing inflammation and in-grown hairs.
ONLINE CUSTOMER REVIEW SCORE
After analyzing 187 customer reviews from over 10 online retailers, we give the Kypris Clearing Serum an Online Customer Review Grade of B. On average, across all retailers, the Clearing Serum earned a score of 4.3/5 and the vast majority of the reviews were positive or neutral. On the positive side, customers loved being able to use a potent anti-acne product daily that doesn’t cause dryness, that the product appears to last a long time, and how well it works under makeup. Critical reviews of the Clearing Serum included notes about the herbal scent, as well as not seeing a big enough change in their skin and acne breakouts to warrant a repurchase. We found less than a handful of reviewers who reported experiencing adverse skin reactions (i.e. increased breakouts). See Pros & Cons below for a full summary.
reviews last evaluated: 8/19/2019
- Great natural alternative for sensitive acne-prone skin types
- Can be used on active breakouts to reduce the severity
- Antibacterial tea tree oil + zinc help to reduce the frequency of acne breakouts
- Helps to balance sebum to reduce clogged pores & blackheads
- A little goes a long way! Just 2-5 drops each use.
- Can be used as a spot treatment or overall facial serum.
- Does not appear to cause dryness.
- Works well under makeup products.
- Made with high quality ingredients sourced from sustainable small farms which do not use pesticides.
- Some reviewers reported that the product did not work for them in regards to treating their acne breakouts.
- Has a light herbal scent and the tea tree oil aroma is noticeable.
- Some reviewers did not experience a big enough change in their skin to warrant a repurchase.
ARTICLES FEATURING KYPRIS
Adding an organic face oil or serum to your skin care routine is a powerful & easy way to get instantly glowing skin--no matter what your skin type may be! Browse our list of expertly curated and [...]