The 18 Best Jade Rollers of 2021
PUBLISHED: 09/24/2019 | LAST UPDATED: 01/17/2020
In a seemingly unending list of beauty trends, it’s hard to miss this one that’s being talked about by celebrities like Madonna and Instagram beauty influencers alike. With over 80 thousand search results on YouTube alone for “jade rollers,” it’s clear that this trend is not only sticking around but growing in popularity.
Do a little digging on the internet, however, and you’ll find that jade rollers are more than just a beautiful tool for making your bathroom vanity look pretty. Known as “Yushi gunlun” in China, this ancient healing technique has been praised for its youth preserving abilities for centuries. But before you find yourself wandering down the crystal healing rabbit hole on the internet, let us help clear things up for you. In this article, we’ll dive into what jade rollers are purported to do vs what they actually do, other gemstone rollers and their benefits, how you should use a facial roller for maximum skin benefits, as well as our top recommendations for the best gemstone facial rollers available on the market today.
What Are Jade Facial Rollers?
Facial rollers or facial massagers are essentially beauty wand made from various gemstones with purported healing properties including jade, rose quartz, and amethyst stones. Facial rollers are roughly the length of your hand and resemble a paint roller with an oblong or oval-shaped piece of gemstone attached to the handle by a metal frame on one end. It’s not uncommon to also find rollers with gemstones on both ends; one side featuring a smaller stone to target tighter spots like the under eye area and around the nose.
How to Use a Gemstone Facial Roller?
Incorporating a facial roller into your skin routine is fairly simple! Facial rollers are designed to work in harmony with your favorite facial serum or facial oil. The massaging action of the facial roller helps to work serums and treatments deep into the skin.
Here are the basic steps of using a facial roller:
- Step 1: Cleanse & Tone. You’ll want a good clean foundation to work with when applying your facial serum. Cleanse your skin with your normal face wash and apply your toner (if using a toner).
- Step 2: Apply Serum. Facial rollers work best when used in concert with a potent facial serum or facial oil. After cleansing, gently apply your serum product to your face, neck, and any other areas you plan to use your facial roller.
- Step 3: Massage! Taking your facial roller in hand, apply soft pressure and gently roll each section of your face & neck (cheeks, chin, forehead, under eyes, and neck) for about 15-20 seconds each. Work the roller from the inside of your face outwards and in an upward motion (as if you were giving yourself a face lift!).
- Step 4: Apply a Moisturizer. Now that the serum has been fully absorbed via the facial roller, apply your daily moisturizer as usual and that’s it!
How frequently you should use a facial roller is really up to you, your skin goals, and (frankly) how much time you have to dedicate to the task. We recommend using your facial roller at least once per day for 30 days to test faithfully whether it impacts your skin. We also recommend taking before and after photos because the differences in skin tone and elasticity can be very subtle at first.
What Are The Benefits of Gemstone & Jade Facial Rollers?
There are two areas of purported benefits of using facial rollers. In some circles, facial rollers are thought to be great because the particular action of massaging your skin helps to stimulate circulation and increase penetration of skin care products. In other circles, each gemstone facial roller represents a certain healing energy. For example, the ancient Chinese used the semi-precious jade gemstone in order to balance their chi (your body’s natural energy force). Thus, we’ve decided to share the most widely claimed benefits of gemstone facial rollers from both sides of the aisle.
Physical Benefits of Facial Rollers
Reduced Risk of Fine Lines & Wrinkles – Our facial muscles hold on to a lot of tension from stress and anxiety (such as the jaw, forehead, eyebrows, etc). Prolonged muscle tension may lead to wrinkles and fine lines (1). Massaging daily with a jade roller may help to loosen these tight muscles, increase blood circulation (more than 10 times), and promote the formation of collagen (2).
Depuffs and Tightens – Poor diet, lack of sleep, and stress can all be contributing factors towards poor circulation around facial areas. This often as puffiness, especially around the eyes. Massaging areas prone to puffiness with a cooling gemstone offers instant depuffing and soothing effects. The gentle pressure and motion of facial roller promotes proper circulation of blood and other fluids. Do you struggle with dark circles and puffy under eyes? Then amplify your facial roller by placing your jade roller in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes before use (or overnight). Massage your under eye area first thing in the morning to assist in lymphatic drainage. You should see results right away!
Skincare Penetration – Studies show that massaging skincare products into your skin increases the penetration of active ingredients (3). Thus, a facial roller can literally amplify the impact of your existing skin care routine.
Crystal Healing Benefits of Gemstone Facial Rollers
Jade: These crystals have been heralded for their healing powers for centuries. Known as “the stone of youth” and a token of good luck, it is no wonder jade stones are the most popular type of stones used in facial rollers. While the quintessential green crystal hue may come to mind when you think of a jade roller, jade stones actually come in a variety of colors including yellow, white, and even brown (4)
Rose Quartz: These pretty pink stones are thought to represent love, trust, peace, and self-love. What better stone to use for a little self-care? Energetically, rose quartz crystals are said to balance the heart and circulatory system–helping to purse toxins from the body. Rose quartz stones range in color from pale pinks to deep almost purple tones. Rose quartz facial rollers are almost as popular as jade rollers (5).
Amethyst: A stunning purple to deep violet stone that represents the third eye chakra. It is thought to help balance hormones, strengthen the immune system, and reduce tension (6). Amethyst gemstone facial rollers are said to be a great choice for those suffering from cyclical/hormonal acne and blemishes.
Sodalite: Another gorgeous stone, most often available in stunning hues of blue, that is said to energetically promote self-esteem, self-trust, and self-acceptance; thus, sodalite is a great choice for those looking to boost their confidence during their skin care routines (7)
How to Shop for an Authentic Gemstone & Jade Roller?
The first question that may come to mind when shopping for a jade roller is…how do you know it’s actually authentic jade? Well, your instinct is correct. When it comes to purchasing your jade or gemstone facial roller, it can be easy to be tricked by impostors. Here are some tips on how to avoid low-quality gemstone and jade facial rollers:
- Low Price: Many “jade” rollers are actually made from glass infused with green dye to mimic the appearance of authentic jade stones. Without actually holding the stone in your hand and inspecting it, it can be tricky to distinguish between a real jade stone and glass stone when shopping online. One giveaway? The price. Real, well crafted gemstone and jade stone facial rollers should not cost less than your daily cup of coffee. Quality jade rollers are naturally more expensive and usually state they’re pure jade crystal.
- Flimsy, Delicate Feel: Does your gemstone facial roller feel heavy or does it feel kinda flimsy? A quality facial roller is made from higher quality metals and gemstones; Thus, it will feel heavier, and more luxurious to the touch.
- Long-Lasting Cold: While there may be slight differences in temperature from gemstone to gemstone, in general real gemstone facial rollers should feel “cool” to the touch and hold that coolness throughout your massage session.
- Poor Design: Does your gemstone facial roller squeak or bend when used? Then, you may have a poor quality roller. A good roller should feel sturdy (even when you apply a good bit of pressure), not bend, not squeak, and last well over a year with consistent use and good maintenance.
To make your life easier and much more fun, we’ve put together this list of our favorite battle tested gemstone facial rollers. We reviewed over 100 facial rollers including jade rollers, rose quartz, amethyst, and many others. Each jade roller we’ve recommended in the list below has been tested for quality, put through our quality standards checklist for beauty tools, and we even inspected online customer reviews. All in all, you are sure to find your next facial roller on this list–enjoy!
Q: Do jade facial rollers really work?
A: When using a jade roller for facial benefits, you may not notice the day to day changes in your skin. Thus, it’s best that you take before and after photos over a 30 day process to see if it’s truly making an impact on your skin. There are thousands of reviews online which claim that jade rollers do work for reducing lines and wrinkles, tightening the skin, and releasing toxin build up—it just may take some time & consistency.
Q: Do jade facial rollers help with acne?
A: Jade rollers have a mild cooling effect on the skin which may help to combat redness and inflammation associated with acne.
Q: What is the best face roller?
A: The best face roller is made using 100% pure gemstones, whether it be jade, rose quartz, or amethyst. These quality rollers are naturally more expensive, have a heavier and more luxurious feel to them due to the quality craftsmanship. Beware of cheap knockoffs which are simply made from glass infused with dye to mimic the look of gemstone.
Q: What is a facial roller used for?
A: Facial rollers can be used to benefit the skin in many ways. A few of the more common reasons people choose to use a facial roller include; depuffing skin (especially under eyes), reducing lines and wrinkles, and releasing fluid build up.
1. (1954) SYMPTOMS OF ANXIETY AND TENSION AND THE ACCOMPANYING PHYSIOLOGICAL CHANGES IN THE MUSCULAR SYSTEM
2. (2018) Ready for a close-up: The science behind face massage rollers.
3. (2016) Skin Care Gets a Good Rub Down: The Role Massage Plays in Cosmetic and Skin Care
4. (2019) Charms of Light – Jade Crystal Healing Properties https://www.charmsoflight.com/jade-healing-properties
5. (2019) Charms of Light – Rose Quartz Crystal Healing Properties https://www.charmsoflight.com/rose-quartz-healing-properties
6. (2019) Charms of Light – Amethyst Crystal Healing Properties https://www.charmsoflight.com/amethyst-healing-properties
7. (2019) Charms of Light – Sodalite Crystal Healing Properties https://www.charmsoflight.com/sodalite-healing-properties